Earlier this year I lost my job and I tell you, it was something I never expected to hit me so early in the year. A few weeks later, and it dawned on me that I was literally unemployed, "where do I go from here" I kept asking myself, how many radio stations are ready or willing to employ a music scheduler during a pandemic for that matter? I quickly had to restrategize about what I wanted to do with my life and earn money.
Since I had an intermediate skill in digital marketing, I figured it was time to go back to gaining more knowledge and pursue it as a career, two weeks in and I realize it was not something I wanted as a career... back to square one figuring out what I wanted to do with my life. At this time I had to reach out to a friend of mine who was in the tech industry, he advised me to try out UI/UX design, I didn't know anything about this field to be honest but I have always been passionate about design and never considered it as a career. After a lot of google search on what it means to be a UI/UX designer, I knew it was something I would enjoy doing.
My journey into the tech industry haven't been easy. I enjoy design so much, it’s my happy place and I wish I had picked it up earlier.
It has been an exciting journey so far and here are things I learned during this transition:
- Never be afraid to ask questions: find people who have been in the field longer than you and ask them questions, a lot of questions.
- Be open to criticisms: when I started designing, I shyed away from second opinions concerning my designs because they made me feel inadequate but I have come to realize that this criticism make me better in the field.
- Find a mentor: a lot of people underestimate the power of having a mentor in the field you are getting into, no man is an island and mentors are a huge help to to your career growth.
- Be consistent: consistency is the key to getting better in your field, the more you practice and show up, the more you get better at it.
- The only thing that can keep you from getting better is how you handle yourself when you get stuck. If you’re passionate about the career, if you are strong willed and determined, then nothing can hold you back because I promise you, there will be tough days and it all depends on how you handle it without giving up.
Happy Career Transitioning 💪🏽